Thursday, February 20, 2020

Breath

Have you ever had such a tragic experience it takes your breathe away? Death does this. It is not just an emotional problem but a physical one. Breathing should be natural but having a child die is not natural. So it takes our breath away. We struggle to keep breathing. As I lay in bed this morning, I thought I can do this. I can make it through the days with few tears. I am strong. It has been 10 years. I can do this. Then I took a breath and realized I probably shouldn't put on mascara today. I took a simple breath. You see since Jacob died 10 years ago, I hold my breath a lot. It is one of the side effects of grief. It started the day he died. I did not even have the energy, desire, or ability to breathe on my own. I would be sitting on the couch watching the people as they crowded into our house to help and be a part of our grief. But I would sit, not breathing. I would finally have to gulp air and remember to live. When I work with new moms, I tell them all they have to do it breathe, and that is a lot. I have signs around my house that say, Breathe. They are reminders to keep going. As today approached, I realized I had been holding my breath a lot this month. I think it is a way to just be still and hold in the pain. To stop time. But like this morning, I was fine until I started breathing. Breathing is life and continuing on with the future. I want to breathe, I just have to remind myself to do so. Keep on breathing friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment