Saturday, June 29, 2013

If Tomorrow Never Comes

Tonight as I worked out in the yard and began to ponder the things of this world and greater things beyond my mind went to a family friend who we use to go to church with, Janet Lile. Janet is 61 years young has two children and spouses, 14 grandchildren and a husband who called her Rosebud, a beautiful woman inside and out. But yesterday she never woke up. She went to bed eager to face tomorrow and all it would bring but never woke up. For Janet, it is an answered prayer, to go to sleep and wake up in the arms of Jesus. But for those left behind a time of grieving. But as I prayed for the family I began to think just about Janet. Did she sense that would be her last night? Did she know? We always say we are not guaranteed tomorrow. But do we really realize how true that is? In Ecclesiastes 3 we are told,"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens a time to be born and a time to die...a time to weep and a time to laugh" But do we believe that? People die all the time. But do we truly realize that as the song goes, What if tomorrow never comes? What if? Have we lived enough? Loved enough? Done enough? What if tonight we go to sleep and tomorrow truly does not come for us? Are we ready? For me yes, I know I will wake up in the arms of Jesus and once again be with my precious son. But did I do enough? Was I ready? My regret will be for my children and the sadness that will come knowing a comforter, a cheerleader, a fighter, their mom would no longer be there. For my husband who will go through the motions of living but will always reach for me and I won't be there. But what worries me more is did I do enough? God has really worked on my heart recently how much time I spend working and trying to save a little extra for the golden years. But what if they never come? Would my time be better spent sipping tea with a dear friend who struggles with an aging parent too. Or quietly writing encouragements to people who have been beaten down. Or playing the park with grandchildren who are growing way too fast. Sitting in the backyard watching the rabbits hop around while birds sing and the clouds pass over slowly sitting still long enough to see the beauty around me and appreciate all that I have been given. Or sitting across from my sons and watching as their faces light up as they talk about their dreams and family. Or just spending time one on one with the Almighty God grasping the total picture of my place here on planet earth and what I need to be urgently doing for Him? What if I only have 24 hours to do all that needs to be done? Or what if I still have a lifetime? Will I waste it all being rushed by the need to organize, clean, create, work more, do more, be more and totally miss the journey I was intended for? Sweet Janet, I pray for your family, not for you as you are basking in the glory of God, but for your family who wishes for one more day, but I also pray for us all as we go through this life too busy pressing forward working for some lofty goal to understand why we are really here. I pray we open our eyes and see, glimpse, understand what really matters before Tomorrow Never Comes. In Memory of Janet Lile

No comments:

Post a Comment